Salcott 1848 Whites directory
SALCOTT, a small village and parish, at the head of the navigable creek, to which it gives name, 8 miles S.S.W. of Colchester and E.N.E. of Maldon, has 181 inhabitants, and 255 acres of land, partly salt marsh. It adjoins Virley, and has a fair for pedlery, &c. , on September 4th. It was formerly more populous than at present, the foundations of former buildings being often discovered. It is in the adjacent manors of Abbot’s Hall, Barns Hall, and Tolleshunt Darcy, and most of the soil belongs to the Executors of the late Jordan Un- win, Esq. , of Ipswich.
The Church ( St. Mary,) is an ancient structure of early English architecture, but the chancel is gone, and the nave is much dilapidated, though there are two acres of land, left for its reparation many years ago. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £7, and in 1831 at £125, is endowed with a farm at Rochford, let for £50 and has now £75 a year in lieu of tithes. The patronage is uncertain, and the Rev. C. G. Watson, of Melton, Suffolk, is the incumbent.
The Rev. James Cox, M.A., of Tolleshunt Knights, is the curate.
There is no parsonage house nor glebe in the parish.
Balls John, shopkeeper
Boley William, parish clerk
Harrington Isaac, baker & beerhouse
Last James, coal dealer, Wharf
Young Abraham, vict. Rising Sun
FARMERS.
Abbott William
Turnage Thomas
Butler Thomas ; house Kelvedon
Dixon Richard ; house Witham
CARRIER, John Cowling, to Colchester, Tuesday and Saturday