Little Saling 1848 Whites Directory
BARDFIELD SALING, or LITTLE SALING, at the south end of this Hundred, 5½ miles N.E. of Dunmow, and N.W. of Braintree, is a village and parish, containing 381 inhabitants, and 1136A. 1R. 36P. of land, including roads and waste. It adjoins Great Saling, and in some records it is called New Saling, and in others Little Saling. The Rev. B. A. Lampet is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil ; and the rest belongs to Wm. Sandle, Esq., Guy’s Hospital, and a few smaller owners. At Domesday survey, the parish was held by Richard Fitz-Gislebert, and it afterwards passed to the Wastail, Wymer, and other families.
The Church (St. Margaret,) is a small ancient structure, with a round tower and one bell, and was originally a chapel under Great Bardfield, from which it was alienated in 1574. William Sandle, Esq. , is patron of the benefice, which is a donative, valued in 1831 at only £75, and now enjoyed by the Rev. R. S. Dobson, M.A. The great tithes belong to Frederick Raikes, Esq., and were commuted in 1845 for £270, and the small for £100 per annum. Two cottages and half an acre of land, called Patridge’s Tenements, were given to the poor of this parish by an unknown donor, and are let for £7per annum. They are at Carey’s Green, and are held of the lord of the manor of Bardfield with Bardfield Saling .
Branch James, shopkeeper
Dobson Rev. Robert Steward, M.A., incumbent
Phillips Henry, miller and parish clerk
Reynolds Samuel, shopkeeper
Rust Henry, surgeon, Brook House
Turpin Pharaoh, blacksmith
BEER HOUSES.
Byford Samuel
Reynolds Thomas
Staines Benjamin
FARMERS.
Bretton Henry
Bright Samuel
Byford Samuel
Reynolds Thomas
Willis George
Wright John
SHOEMAKERS
Byatt John
Mascall Thos.
Savill William