Great Sampford 1848 Whites Directory
SAMPFORD, (GREAT) or Old Sampford, a pleasant village on the banks of the river Pant, 4½ miles N.N.E. of Thaxted , and 7
miles E. by S. of Saffron Walden, has in its parish 877 souls and 2247A. 2R. 9P. of land, including Tindon End, Grewser’s Green, and many scattered farm houses, &c. In Saxon times it formed part of the royal demesnes, but the Conqueror gave it Ralph de Guader, Duke of Norfolk and Suffolk. Lieut.-General Sir W. C. Eustace is now lord of the manor, but J. and P. Portway, W. Stubbing, J. Chopping, and several other owners have estates here, mostly free and partly copy-hold, subject to certain fines. Sir J. N. M’Adam, Kt., the celebrated improver of turnpike roads, has an ancient seat, with pleasant grounds at Tindon End, near the site of an ancient moated house, which was long a seat of the Giffords.
The Church (St. Michael,) is a large and handsome stone building, consisting of a nave and aisles, achancel, and a square tower, containing five bells. A spacious Gothic arch separates the nave and chancel, and on either side of the latter are stone stalls, beautifully formed with clusters of three pillars, supporting elegant trefoil arches, retiring into the thickness of the wall. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £18, and in 1831 at £264, with the curacy of Hempstead annexed to it, is in the patronage of Lieut. General Sir W. C. Eustace, and incumbency of the Rev. J. W. Carver, B.A., who has a good residence and 16A. 3R. 21P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1836, the vicarial for £129. 4s. 9d. , and the rectorial for £517. The latter belong to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. Here is a Baptist Chapel, erected in 1802, and having 500 sittings. The poor of this parish and Little Sampford have the dividends of £200 three- and-a-half per cent. Bank An- nuities, purchased with £200 left by Catherine Riley, in 1828.
POST OFFICE, at J. Jeffery’s. Letters desp. 2 30 afternoon via Braintree.
Beddow Rev. Barnabas (Baptist)
Burton Thomas, vict. Red Lion
Carver Rev. Jeremiah Wolsey, B.A. vicar
Everett Elizabeth, dress maker
Jeffery John, post office
Malyon Cole, cow leech, &c
McAdam Sir James Nicoll, Kt., Tindon-End
Metcalf John, vict. Cock
Moore Mrs Ann
Mumford John, shoemaker
Philpott Wm. vict. Bull
Perry Thomas, lathe maker
Thomason John, corn miller
Willis Joseph, baker
Wright George, clothes dealer
FARMERS.
Andrews Elijah
French Joseph
Arnold Chas. (fellmonger) Stowe
Chopping James, Bye- Balls
Harrison Thomas, Parsonage
Hebblethwaite Henry, Thistley
Portway John, Hill Farm
Portway Peter, Houses
Starling Joseph, Cock in the Woods
Stubbing Walter (corn miller,) Dove House
Tannar Matthew, Giffords
Tredgett George, White Houses
Willett Thomas, Park- Pale
Winterflood George, Free-Roberts
BLACKSMITHS.
Harrison James
Turpin James
BUTCHER
Mascall Charles
Wright Wm. (and beerhouse)
CARPENTERS. ( + Wheelwrights. )
Gray Wm. parish clerk
+Metcalf John
Philpott John
+Philpott Wm.
GROCERS & DRAPERS.
Gilder James
Hall Mary
Ruffle Wm.
Wright Charles
TAILORS.
Porter Steward
Reynolds Edm.