Matching 1848 Whites directory

Matching 1848 Whites directory
MATCHING, a scattered village in three divisions, 4 miles E. of Harlow, has in its parish 687 souls, and 2,384 acres of land, in two manors, and generally having a level surface. J. T. Selwin, Esq. , is lord of Matching Hall, the chief manor, formerly held by the Gernon, Walden, Cutts, and other families ; and Robert Boodle, Esq. , is lord of the small manor of Ovesham or Housham Hall, which has been held by the Scott and other families. Messrs. T. and J. Inkersole, G. S. Wallis, T. H. Quare, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) has a nave, north and south aisles , and a chancel, with a tower and five bells. It was appropriated to Lees Priory, but after the Dissolution, Sir Richard Rich settled the great tithes and the patronage of the vicarage on the trustees of the free school and charity, founded by him at Felsted. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £12. 10s. 5d., and in 1831 at £ 173, is now enjoyed by the Rev. John Houghton, M.A. The trustees of Felsted school present, on the nomination of the Bishop of London. The tithes were commuted in 1840, the rectorial for £440, and the vicarial for £246. The rectorial glebe is 56A. , and the vicarial 10A., and the vicarage is is a neat building of timber, lath, and plaster.

Betts Edw. tailor and shopkeeper
Brewster William, blacksmith
Brown William, vict. Chequers
Cornell William , beerhouse
Crush John , victualler, Fox
Dennis William, beerhouse & shopkeeper
Foster John, boot and shoe maker
Foster Jonathan, boot and shoe maker
Hasler Hannah, schoolmistress
Houghton Rev. John, M.A. vicar
Kelly William, beerhouse
Lambert John, blacksmith
Martin Charles, shopkeeper
Rix William B. surgeon

FARMERS.
Baker Charles
Baker Milicent
Berry Fdk. John
Betts Edw. W.
Carpenter Chas.
Darby Thomas
Hart Thomas Parker
Hazlewood James
Martin Chas. (& miller)
Poole Stephen S.
Quare Henry T.
Quare Tuder B. (&maltster)
Tipler George