Nettleswell 1848 Whites directory

Nettleswell 1848 Whites directory
NETTESWELL parish has a small village, called Netteswell Cross, in a picturesque valley, 2 miles S.W. of Harlow, and a mile N.E. of the church.
It contains 336 souls, and 1,521 acres of land, including 167 acres of open
field and common lands, about to be enclosed, and called Netteswell and
Copsall Common, Tye Green , &c. Chas. Phelips, Esq., is lord of the manor,
but part of the soil belongs to T. Collins, Esq., and several smaller pro- prietors. This manor was given by king Harold to Waltham Abbey, and after the Dissolution, it was granted to Richard Higham, Esq. Itafterwards passed to the Weston, Marten, and other families. Burnt Mill, on the east side of the Stort, is in this parish, and obtained its name from its
having been twice destroyed by fire. Near it is a Station on the North Eastern Railway. The Church is a small ancient structure, with a wooden
turret, containing three bells, and crowned by a spire. In one of the walls
is a portion of curious ornamental brick work. The rectory, valued in
K.B. at £13.6s. 8d. , and in 1831 at £179, is in the patronage of Charles
Phelips, Esq. , and incumbency of the Rev. P. Johnson, M.A., who has a
good residence, and 5A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for
£200 per annum. Here is a FREE SCHOOL. for 20 children, founded by
Wm. Marten, who, in 1711 , left the master’s house and about half an acre
of garden ground, and endowed the school with £1,000, which was vested
in £1,168.9s. 3d. three per cent. Consols. Ayearly salary of £30 is paid
to the master, and the rest of the dividends are expended in repairs, and in
purchasing books for the 20 free scholars, (boys and girls,) who are taught
reading, writing, and arithmetic. The master is allowed to take 20 pay scholars. Two small Almshouses, supposed to have been given by Mrs. Marten, widow of the founder of the school, were converted into an Infant School in 1848. The poor have 10s. a year from Emanuel Woolley’s charity.
Brown Jasper, butcher & beerhouse

Bray Thomas, vict. Greyhound
Brewster John, schoolmaster
Death William, miller, Burnt Mill
Font John, gent.
Nott Mr. Benj.
Johnson Rev. Pp. M.A. Rectory
Moor Joseph , beerhouse
Pluckrose James, blacksmith
Vorley John, Burnt Mill Station
Wingfield William, vict. Chequers

FARMERS
Appleton William
Brown Jasper
Church Ezra
Church Henry
Collins Thomas
Gentry John
Paul John
Rickett John
Sear Charles
Skingley Robert
Wallis John
Shopkeepers.
Church Reuben
Dennis Sus.
Thurgood Mary

RAILWAY
Trains from Burnt Mill, 3 times a day.