Great Parndon 1848 Whites directory
PARNDON, (GREAT) 4 miles S.W. of Harlow, is a pleasant scattered village and hilly parish, at the south end of this Hundred, watered by a rivulet which flows westward to the Stort. It contains 417 souls, and 2,200 acres of land, adjoining Harlow Bush Common, on the east. The Earl of Mornington is lord of the manor, called Canons, from a monastery of Premonstratensia Canons founded here, in the 12th century, by Roger and Robert de Perendune or Parndon. These canons removed to Bileigh Abbey, near Maldon, in 1180, but they retained possession of the estate till the Dissolution, after which it was granted to Sir Thomas
Darey. In the last century it was purchased by Sir Josiah Child, from whom it has descended to its present owner. A handsome mansion which stood upon it was the seat of Sir Edw. Farmer in 1632, and was pulled down many years ago. Kingsmoor House, formerly belonging to the Risden family, is now the elegant seat of Fdk. Houblon, Esq.
The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £16. 10s. 7½d. , and in 1831 at £398, is in the patronage of the Earl of Mornington and St. Thomas’s Hospital, and incumbency of the Rev. H. B. Sims, M.A., who has 294. of glebe, and a good residence, in the Tudor style. The tithes were commuted in 1843. The poor parishioners have £5 a year out of Mead Moor Meadow, purchased with £100, left by John Sealy, in 1589.
Ellis Henry, blacksmith
Dowsett John, shopkeeper
Houblon Frederick Esq. Kingsmoor House
Hudson Jas. shopkeeper and shoemaker
Jackson William, wheelwright
Markwell Thos. carpenter and vict. Cock
Sims Rev. Hy. Belmont, M.A. rector
Simmons Deborah, schoolmistress
FARMERS.
Akers James,
Canons
Akers John
Appleton Cphr.
Bayley Francis,
Passemers
Brown Charles
Clarance Charles,
Sumners
Day John
Day John,jun.
Holmes Joseph
Irvin Alexander
King W. Stuarts
Press Thomas
Rickett Benjamin
Smith Peter
Wallis Nathan , Clamps Farm