Ulting 1848 Whites Directory

Ulting 1848 Whites Directory
ULTING is a small parish of scattered houses, on the north side of the river Chelmer, 4 miles S. by W. of Witham, and 8 miles E. by N. of Chelmsford. It contains 150 inhabitants, and 1141A. 2R. 8P. of land, including 22 A. of wood, 17A. waste, and 11 a. river. The Trustees of the late Ralph Nicholson, Esq. , are impropriators of the rectory, and lords of the manor, which has been held by the Baynard, Ulting, Bourchier, Heneage, Banks, and other families ; but a great part of the soil belongs to G. B. M. Lovibond, Esq. , Messrs. John Pigot, J. Pledger, Robert Francis, and several smaller freeholders ; there being only about 50A. of copyhold land in the parish. The manor of Mugdon Hall is partly in this parish, but mostly in Hatfield Peverel and Little Baddow.
The Church (All Saints,) is a small ancient stone edifice of early English architecture, standing on a gentle slope, near the river, and having a wooden turret, crowned by a shingled spire. Some of the original oak benches remain, and also the old font, but the carving of the latter is much defaced. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7. 4s. 2d. , and in 1831 £125.
The Master and Fellows of Sidney College, Cambridge, are patrons, and the Rev. Charles Varney Shuckburgh, of Langford, is the incumbent. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £187 17s. 6d. , and the vicarial for £164 12s. 6d. per annum. A new Vicarage House has recently been erected of white brick.

Garnons Rev. William Lewes Pugh, B.D. curate, Vicarage
Ennefar Mrs. schoolmistress
Levett Edw. beerhouse & shopkeeper – Prince Albert

FARMERS. (+ are Owners)
Aldham George, Grove
Aldham William, Ulting Hall
Carter John
Quilter Joseph, Wick
+Francis Robert, Stock Hall
Francis William, Crouchmans
+Piggot John, The Elms
Raven Jasper, Ashfields